Fiber demo at Scottish Faire

Poster: Jen McCann <MCCANNJ@carleton.edu>

   In Buckston we've done a similar type of thing at demos--I believe it was
originally created by Sir Fern.  We start with one kid, ask their name, and
let them put on something, usually a tunic, and say "This is the tunic that x
wears".  Then we call up another kid and hand them some cloth and say "This is
the sewer/tailor/seamstress who sewed the tunic that x wears".  Then it's an
inkle loom and "this is the weaver who wove the fabric for the sewer who sewed
the tunic that x wears".  By the end there's a whole line of kids, each holding
something representing their part and the kids are usually chanting along.
  I often use this as an explanation of why cloth was so expensive and then
talk about some of the funny fashions (big sleeves, oversized dresses, etc) as
status symbols, though that type of thing works better at school demos than at a
fair and has less to do with Scotland.  It's a fun example to do and kids seem
to enjoy it.

Cairistiona Wynde
(who comes home for break in 2 days!)