Re: Spring Coronation A&S - Addendum

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <Neilltl@ptsc.slg.eds.com>

Charlene Noto <charlenn@MICROSOFT.com> wrote:

>Hmmm. I forgot to add the other competitions!
>
>The Barony of Caer Mear is sponsoring the following competitions at
>Spring Coronation in addition to the ones I mentioned in my earlier
>post:
>
>- Documentable round shields (an example might be arms depicted in an
>early period style)
>- Documentable garb (850-1050)
>- The best mini-saga (poem). Poems are to be composed on-site, recount
>the days events, and be 5 minutes or less. They will be performed during
>feast. [Note: this was the poetry competition that Eogan referred to in
>his earlier post]

There are two competitions for 850 - 1050 garb.  The garb itself, and a
separate competition for accessory(ies).  Or so I understand from Master
Terafan Greydragon, Baron of the Court of Atlantia.

BTW, another way to do 'documentable' period Viking round shields is to make
one out of planks instead of plywood.

I've no idea how planking would hold up under SCA combat conditions (they
eveidently didn't hold up all that well under *contemporary* comabt
condidtions!) but the only period shields I've ever seen are the ones from the
Gokstad ship.

These were planked, with a circular boss in the center, one handle nailed or
riveted across the diameter of the shield crossing the boss area perpendicular
to the lay of the planks, with holes around the circumference (used for lacing
on a leather or rawhide rim I assume, since no nails were found in context with
those holes) and painted either yellow or black (maybe with a milk-based paint).

The planks were held together with pegs, and maybe glue, in addition to the
handle.  Try pegging and glueing together several boards and then cutting a
circle out of that.  I've heard that Viking shields were very light weight, so
one supposes that a thinner board and/or lighter wood was used.

Contemporary Viking rock and wood carvings show shields having lines that curve
from the center of the shield to the rim, forming anywhere from 4 to 12
triangular wedges with curved sides.  That would be one way to paint a period
design on a Viking round shield.  One could paint each wedge a different color,
or alternate two or three colors.

Regards!

        - Anarra