Re: [EK] Re:native american persona?

Poster: Mark Schuldenfrei <schuldy@abel.MATH.HARVARD.EDU>

Tisman wrote:
  I was under the impression that the SCA was dedicated to ALL cultures and the
  operations thereof in period...

You wouldn't be alone in that belief: but it is still incorrect.

Or, rather, "period" is an SCA technical term, that means Western European
civilization and culture, for a rough time period.  It is both a geographic
as well as a time based restriction... and the geographic part is soft and
mushy, being so subjective.

If you check the rules (and they were posted, or I would post them) you will
see that while there is a clear "center" and a wide grey area, indigenie of
North America aren't amongst the vague cases.

The Society operates on oral tradition... this isn't surprising when you
consider that it "just grew" and the formal rules were written down later,
and have been revised over time.  Never the less, it scares me, sometimes,
just how few people actually read and understand the basic rules of the
game.

But, as I started, you are not alone in these beliefs, and you are far from
the first person to make that mistake on the nets (this month....)

  I am not trying to stir up trouble MiLord, but why is it that you think
  cultures outside of Western Europe are more important than the other cultures
  of the world?

<minor bristling occurs here>

You cannot find any implication or statement that I believe one is superior
to the other.  Nor important.  All I wrote (because that is what I believe)
is that one is what we do, and the other isn't.

The old analogy is a good one: I showed up for the baseball game, and I
don't wanna play football now.   That doesn't mean I think ill of football,
or that it is "less important".  It just means that you need to put your
football away, and play the regularly scheduled baseball game.

	Tibor (Sometime umpire..... :-)