the native American question

Poster: Christoph Hintze <chhintze@bmd.clis.com>

Findlaech mac Alasdair sez

>At 08:20 AM 3/25/97 -0500, Christoph Hintze wrote:
>
>>It is my understanding that native Americans WERE
>>brought back to Europe, and not just as curiosities, but in some cases as
>>-er- unpaid labor.
>
>Good my lord and gentles all,
<snip>

I didn't say "All native Americans".  I guess I should specifically say,
"some native Americans."  Thanks for the clarification, though.

>>Thor's attitude re documentation was, "If you can't prove it DIDN'T happen,
>>there's always a chance that someone did it."
>
>Be most careful on that slippery slope, my lord.  Knowledge of denim and
>copper rivets does not make blue jeans period.

No, but we have examples of how clothing WAS constructed that rule out blue
jeans.  That IS contradictory evidence.  I don't think we have anything
definitive that says a Noresman couldn't have sailed into the Pacific and
gotten shipwrecked and travelled all the way back.  In the _absence of
contradictory evidence_, we really can't know.

In any case, that's Thor's attitude, and he LOVES to debate.  If he were
online, I'd happily let him go at it.  I'm not going any farther with it.

>But as such, you probably would only
>wear your "native" garb when you were being shown off at Court or fairs and
>such.

I'd think so - part of trying to make the fit.  Good point, and if you
hadn't made it, I'd've meant to.

However - stop calling me "my lord!"  Yes, the thingie at the top reads
"Christoph Hintze," because this IS his account.  But the signature at the
bottom reads "Lady Katriona of NorthWoods", because it is I, otherwise known
as Sherry Hintze, who am actually speaking.  Sorry for any confusion.  (I
suspect Stoph will have his say re the native American question later....)

In service,
LADY KATRIONA OF NORTHWOODS
Seneschal for the Shire of Cathanar
-and always a lady.