Re: [EK] Re:native american persona? (fwd)

Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)

> Poster: TismanBRos@aol.com
>
> Milords and Miladies...
> Let me begin by offering an appology.  I have recently found that the charter
> does incorporate itself around the western european culture.  I also realize
> that the predominant portion of members follow the practice of such cultures.
>  I am just a little unclear on why this is...

Because we want to. No more, no less; my guess is that should a
large enough body of SCAfolk wish that our governing doc's be
changed, they will be.

> I know that the major portion of members are of european descent.  Were the
> charter members of the SCA of nationalities or descents of other cultures?
>  What I mean is, did they think that perhaps one day someone that was of
> african, asian, north or south american lineage (and wanted to research and
> practice their ancestral customs) would come along and automatically persue
> the practices of europeans, just because they think there are no other
> options?

Er, if one looks at the story of the first tourney, you'll find
that they were a bunch of white kids who went to Berkeley, who
never planned on anything like this ever growing up around their
little club.

Pedro de Alcazar, AoA
Barony of Storvik, Atlantia
Pursuivant Extraordinary and Junior Minion
Or, six Castles Vert within a Bordure Gules semy of Roundels Or
--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com