scope of the SCA

Poster: Sherry Hintze <chhintze@bmd.clis.com>

Well, if everyone else is going to continue, I may as well.

One of the things that isn't mentioned much anymore (Actually, it was pretty
well moot before I entered the SCA 9 years ago) are the ties between the SCA
and modern fantasy fiction.

At one time, the SCA had a lot of overlap with such-like.  Look at the
current occupations of a lot of the founders - writing fantasy fiction.  I
was told by a REAL long-timer in the Barony of NorthWoods that when the
group there started out, there was well-nigh a one-to-one correspondence
with the Tolkien fan club.  That's why every now and again, someone raises
the spectre of the elven persona.  (Can't do it anymore, though.  Or is
that, can't register it with the college of heralds?  I know Tibor will be
able to help me here. :) Definitely a social taboo against it, in any case.)

Somewhere along the line, we decided to make a break with fantasy, I think
largely in the interest of gaining respect as an organization.  IMHO, it's
helped do that and it's been a good thing.

But if we are going to read the documents the founders and previous
generations wrote, and try to figure out what was intended, we may want to
remember what's between the lines.

In service,
Kat

With apologies for taking up so much of everyone's time....