Re: native American personas (fwd)

Poster: mn13189@WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, Terry L. Neill wrote:

> Eogan  wrote:
> >I've been doing a littel research into this since this thread came up.  It
> >seems that Norse colonies in the New World could have existed and been
> >sustained from the 10th to the mid-14th centuries. Some estimates have
> >them extendidn into the 15th centuries but this does not seem very likely.
> >In any case, most everyone agrees that Norse occupation was done with
> >before the major European powers started their age of Exploration (Spain,
> >Portugal, England, etc.).
>

> The colony in Greenland died out around 1500 a.d.  After that (and a good deal
> *before* that, even) it is highly unlikely there were even brief expeditions to
> Vinland.

Oops.  I think I should clarify.  I was referring to the Greenland
colonies when I mentioned the above dates.  But (at least to my
understanding) there was an Eastern colony (facing Europe) and a Western
colony) facing the New World.  It is from this Western Colony that any New
World contact would have been made.  This is what I was referring to.

Any evidence for Vinland comes from the sagas, which tend to contradict
each other in two many places.  The concensus seems to be that Vinalnd MAY
have existed, but to what extent and where, no one knows.
Aye,
Eogan