Re: scope of the SCA

Poster: Dick Eney <dickeney@access.digex.net>

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, Robert J Welenc wrote:
> Poster: Robert J Welenc <rjwelenc@erols.com>
>
> >The College of Arms used to allow "documentation" from Elvish and fantasy
> >books, and in fact there used to be an heraldic conflict checking book for
> >armory that listed fictional arms and names (Fabulous Heraldry, if I
> >recall).
> >
> >The College of Arms changed that registration acceptance a very long time
> >ago.
> >
> >	Tibor

Early on there was a _very _specific _exception _to _the _rule_ against
fantasy personas to allow names, not personas but names, drawn from the
Elvish in Tolkien.  Such names still had to follow the rules used for
other languages - not duplicate unique names of characters, etc. Other
fantasy novels were never included in that.  This was not considered
'documentation' of anything except an early peculiarity of the Society,
that Tolkien's Elvish was accepted as a language.

> If I may add a bit of clarification, cousin.  'Fabulous Heraldry' was still
> around when I first started attending Triton heraldic commenting sessions
> back in '91 or '92.  It was not used for documentation, but to ensure that
> submitters did not duplicate well-known fantasy heraldry.  The Eye Of
> Sauron coming at you across the battlefield would be a bit...unsettling,
> now wouldn't it?  :)
>
> Alanna

As far as I know, it is still around and being used for the same purpose.

=Tamar the Gypsy (a long time ago, Bell Pursuivant)
(sharing account dickeney@access.digex.net)