Re: Cross Gender Persona

Poster: LWright740@aol.com

Greetings to Patrons of the MerryRose,

On the subject of cross gender personas:

It occures to me that your persona is as convincing as you make it.  If a
body could convince me they are a member of the Spanish Court traveling
abroad,  I supose I could be convinced of their gender in the same way.
Through the use of language/accent, subjects discussed, posture, clothing,
and other hints worked into thier "performance".  In a performance class I
took I endevored to deliver a monologue as a man.  My voice was deeper and
harsher, my stance was wider, and I crossed my legs like a man not a woman.
 My audience accepted my potrayal and for the purposes of my class, I was a
black doorman.

  My ablity to suspend disbelief depends on how well the person creates the
illusion.  If they do a good job you are drawn into the world they have
created.  This is what the Dream is about.  We are all the performers and the
audience at the same time.  If I delived a monalogue as a black doorman, at
an event, it would fail due to my selection of audience.   As a polite member
of the SCA I would endevor to not spoil thier persona.  I have no motivation
to suspend my disbelief for personas of supernatural origin.

In Service to the Dream,
Lora Leigh
In the uncilvilized wilds of Soutern Attillium
Barony of Windmasters Hill