Re: oaths of loyalty vs. oths of fealty

Poster: Annejke@prodigy.com (MS MARTHA L WALLENHORST)

>When the words are taught in first grade or so, they hold less than
no
>meaning to the children who learn them.  Most children simply do
not
>have the capacity to understand abstracts like that until much later.

>In fact, most children do not even have many of those words in
their
>vocabularies yet!

In the school system in Michigan where I grew up the first thing we
were taught was the pledge.  We learned the "right" words and we
learned in very simple words what it meant.  I knew what I was saying,
 I knew what the song meant when we sang it, it had been explained as
well.  I also understood the meaning of freedom and democracy and
discrimination in kindergarden.  I had some excellent teachers for
these concepts and have never understood since why people can't
understand them.

Annejke