Re: group size, status, was Principalities

Poster: "Heather Swann" <swannh@psi.com>

> Poster: Dave Montuori <damont@wolfstar.com>
>

> Jonathan wrote:
> > > I'm not going to get into who done what, but the above is (IMO)
> > > a fairly good example for baronial vs. shire status.  A shire
> > > that expects to be around should go ahead and move towards
> > > baronial status; there's no reason not to (except for the
> > > politics that this move would engender) and many reasons to do so.
>
> Gregory responded:
> > there are many reasons why a shire might want to stay that way for
> > a long time -- Isenfir is 22 years old...
> > A quick look through the mailing list archive ought to show you quite
> > a few postings from shire denizens about what they like about
> > shires.... If you're going to rehash the discussion, you should
> > remember that there are two sides to it.
>
> Yes, there are two sides to this question (I'm an Isenfiri-in-Exile
> now living in Stierbach and have been through both sides myself).
> The difference appears to have something to do with the
> shire's psychological proximity to baronies: how close by the members
> of each group think the other group(s) is/are. Isenfir, when I lived
> there, was not "near" any baronies; Stierbach most emphatically is,
> and from Jonathan's anecdote, so are the groups in question there.
>
> Evan

As another Isenfiri-in-Exile, I'd like to say that it also has something to do
with the sorts of folks that are in the group as well.  In my day in Isenfir
(do be a good chap and fetch me my cane, Evan), we were all peasants and proud
of it, thus we had a pronounced "Barony? Who needs to be a Barony?  We don't
need no stinkin' hats!"  attitude.  We often went to play with the Caer Maeri
and the Black Diamond folks, but we didn't feel a need to become a barony.  We
felt very secure in our shire status.  Of course, we also didn't have many
town members and knew the population would come and go in waves that might not
support a Barony, and in such circumstance, who would you give the hats to?

Miri