Re: Silflex/UHMW polyethylene

Poster: Wynn Klosky <klosky@meeker.UCAR.EDU>

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, John Gahrmann wrote:

> On UHMW polyethylene:
> Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken but didn't Atlantia (or at least some of us)
> try stuff this a few years ago. Very heavy, some memory and it hit like a few tons of
> bricks? I think Duke Anton amongst others played with some. I remember a lot of armor
> getting trashed by whatever it was.

Sorry to hear about your armour...

I don't know about the use of UHMW (ultra-molecular still seems cooler ;^)
in Atlantia, but that trial for unmodified seem about the same for here.
The original sticks tried out here were solid as well, but were correctly
and quickly determined to be too heavy to be of use, hence the current
vintage with channels up both sides, and even the tip bored out to
lighten it. These are proving quite satisfactory to a lot of the
fighters here in the Northern Outlands, where blows tend to be lighter
overall than in Atlantia (not Light, just lighter). (Meaning that
people would complain even *louder* if they thought things were too
heavy.)

Testing has been done by use of the swords *by* official testers
*against* anyone willing to fight against them, so there's been quite
a bit of data gathered.

branwynn
who wonders what WHALEBONE would've felt like... :^)
..and who also just noticed that her writing has gone to hell after
hours of packing boxes...