Re: matching arms on the field (fwd)

Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)

Eogan:

> Enrique:
> > Perhaps you could get each fighter to hire a herald to argue that he has
> > the right to bear the arms and to claim the other is an upstart. The
> > heralds can spout heraldi-babble at each other for a bit, talk about
> > lineages, et nauseum, then declare it a draw. Then the fighters can fight
> > over who gets to keep the arms. The loser can apologise and difference his
> > arms for the day.
>
> Henry's suggestion sounds like fun, but I have one observation.  It would
> be fun if this were a heraldicly-enhanced tourney and set up this way.
> Otherwise, if this hapened during a normal tourney or list, other fighters
> might get very bored/hot/irritated while all of this went on to settle a
> dispute between two of the fighters.  But if done as a planned scenario, I
> think this could be fun, not only for the combatants, but also for the
> heralds and spectators as well.

If it turns out to be a problem, I'm sure that the autocrat or
the marshals will make it stop. Besides, their dispute can always
be taken off the field to be arbitrated by their lord<s> or some
other person or group. Mediaeval military disputes were usually
settled by arbitration by experienced heralds and knights; the
kings only regularized a working solution they found before them
by establishing heralds' colleges and courts-martial.

Frankly, for a very deeply themed event set in the 14th-16th
centuries, a dispute over the title to a coat of arms would
probably be in keeping with the theme. Up to the autocrat if they
would rather a judicial duel, a drumhead court, or a full session
of a court-martial. The chance to play-act at being a canonist or
practicioner of the Roman law and heaping abuse upon my learned
opponent's bad Latin, as well as his bad case, and opening up
one duel of honor on top of another thereby, would be almost too
much fun for me.

Pedro de Alcazar, AoA
Barony of Storvik, Atlantia
Pursuivant Extraordinary and Junior Minion
Or, six Castles Vert within a Bordure Gules semy of Roundels Or

<Will do Latin for food>
--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com