Re: feast gear

Poster: Sallie Montuori <foxdale@wolfstar.com>

> Poster: RoyalLady@aol.com
>
> I need a little help from some kind person.  My husband and myself have
> recently joined the SCA and are trying to get our feast gear together.  We
> are trying to make our own out of wood.  My question is what do you use to
> seal the wood to protect it from various food and drink?

You can probably seal it with oil, as some people do their wooden
cutting boards.  Use a vegetable oil with no particular flavor (i.e.
olive oil is not particularly good).

>  Or where can we get
> good acceptable feast gear?

Depending on where you are located, you can probably fairly frequently
find merchants at events who carry feastgear.  And, lest we forget,
yardsales are always an excellent option -- I picked up a lovely set
of wooden bowls just yesterday!  ;)

Also, depending on your period, you need not necessarily restrict
yourself to wood.  Pewter and other metals, and divers forms of china
were used in various areas and periods.  When you have definitely
settled what period and area your persona is from, you may discover
your persona would have used one of these instead.

As for acceptable, well, as long as you avoid plastic, which you
obviously are doing, you're not likely to get many complaints.

>   Any information you can send would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Gelis de Fraser

   Alys of Foxdale        | Vert, on a fess between three trees
foxdale@wolfstar.com      |     argent, a fox passant gules.