June Letter from the Kingdom Rapier Marshal

Poster: Phillip Jones <jonesj@FTC-I.NET>

One of the burning questions on everyone's mind is how we handle
reports.

The RMIC of each event needs to send me a report on the event within two
weeks, so long as the event went smoothly. If there have been any
problems, however, I need to be notified ASAP. If those problems include
any injury serious enough to warrant attention by chirugeons or
non-society medical persons, I should be notified within 24 hours.

By far the best way to reach me is vial e-mail at Jonesj@ftc-i.net. If
you have a "situation" to report, call me at any time.

The event reports provide valuable information and ideas on how to run
different scenarios, so provide as much detail on this aspect as
possible. Use the reports to address any minor problems you see, as well
as any ideas you have for improving the safety and enjoyment of our
game.

I'd also like each warranted marshal to drop me a note discussing the
rapier situation in their part of the Kingdom.

I hope that I'll see most of you at the University. We'll be holding
another Rapier Marshal session there. I'd like to get some volunteers to
take the training sessions to a more local level, so that we can reach
those who can't travel to Universities. If you are interested in being a
regional representative, please contact me via e-mail.

I'd also like to take this time to remind you of the Society rule change
on inspections. Weapons inspection MUST be done at every sca-sanctioned
gathering, which includes any publicized practice. The path is up to
you, but you must either destroy or permanently mark bad blades, or
temporarily mark good ones. I much prefer the latter approach, but the
decision is up to the RMIC. On-site appeals are not feasible, so remind
folks to carry an extra blade. I've added two to my own kit as loaners.
Because of the importance of inspections, I'd like to add emphasis to
the weapon inspection portion of authorizations. All fighters should
know what we are looking for during inspections, and should be
encouraged to inspect their own gear on a regular basis.

In Service
Lord Phillip Bell.