Re: Ficheail, Tablut, Hnefatafl et hoc genus omne

Poster: "Ed Hopkins" <Ed.Hopkins@MCI.Com>

Lord William MacAndrew of Balnagowan writes, in part:

[...]
> As anyone who has played Tablut knows, there is almost no way of capturing
> the king if played well.  However, I've found _ONE_ reference to a rule
> that I'd be very interested in documenting;
>
> The king may not assist in capturing opposing pieces.
>
> Has anyone else heard this? Does anyone play with this rule? My household
> and I have taken to playing in this manner, just to test it out.  So far,
> the king has always escaped, but the games do get a little tighter, and
> last a little longer.
>
> Any thoughts?

A man I know from AEthelmearc, one Meistari Fridrikr Tommasson av
Knusslig Hamn, holds the opinion that it was a given that the
king would escape, and the real interest (i.e. betting) was on
how many moves it would take him. I believe that the Meistari bases
this belief on the playability of the game, rather than any documentation.

-- Alfredo el Bufon
Canton of Elvegast
Barony of Windmater's Hill
Kingdom of Atlantia