From: "Ed Hopkins"
To: PETERSR; The Merry Rose
Subject: Re: Fighting and fun
Date: Thursday, May 29, 1997 12:06PM

Poster: "Ed Hopkins" <Ed.Hopkins@MCI.Com>

Ianthe d'Averoigne speaks eloquently of making combat more accessible
to spectators, and adds:

> To those who bridle at "theater," "tarting up the lists" or "demeaning
> themselves by playing the fool", I would point out that arts can be
enjoyed
> on many levels.  Embroidery, cooking, metal work, calligraphy, bardic
arts,
> and the rest can all be worked by those of any proficiency and can bring
> visual or vicarious enjoyment to all.  [...]

I have seen cooking for spectators (mundanely (at Japanese restaurants
and at fudge-making establishments)) and I have heard of people
watching metalworking, but the bardic arts is the only part of
Mistress Ianthe's list that I've seen pitched to the crowds at
SCA events.  Of course, my experience is limited.

 -- Alfredo el Bufon
And children coming home from school
  Look in at the open door;
They love to see the flaming forge,