The Real Story from Kofryna the Goatherd... (fwd)

Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)

Kofryna the Goatherd:

> Greetings to the Patrons of the Merry Rose from Kofryna the Goatherd,

Hi! I was one of the people present at that Laurel meeting when
your name and arms came up for consideration!

> When I drew my device, I knew my drawing skills were rather remedial.
> For that reason, I traced a dairy goat from a “Promote the Goat” bumper
> sticker. It was a identifiable drawing for those people who own dairy
> goats. I wonder how many people in the college of Heralds own a dairy
> goat (it was an Alpine). I was informed somewhere along the line that if
> I drew a billy goat (buck) with a beard, than everyone would have known
> it was a goat. The udder apparently confused the Heralds.

Well, it did, at least for me. I'm not exactly familiar with
goats, to tell the truth-I'm a city boy. The most I know about
goats is that they've got an appetite for dorm food.

> Before I traced the goat, our Shire Herald told me artistry wasn’t a
> factor. This experience has taught me that the guidance he had received
> couldn’t have been more wrong. Actually, from what I can tell drawing is
> more important than the words on the blazon, or any written hints you
> provide. Our Shire Herald has been working for months on arguing for my
> case, and I appreciate his dedication.

The blazon and the emblazon appeared to be incongruent. I can't
speak for Jaelle, but I can say that I thought it was bovine, not
ovine.

> My name for instance (which is on the form as Kofryna the Goatherd) is a
> huge hint for the Heralds reviewing the device. This experience also
> shows if the picture is unidentifiable, the guidance and hints (like
> your SCA name) won’t help either. It went forward from Kingdom as a cow.

<shrug> Most people, in period, didn't have arms that reflected
their names. Some lucky types (me, for example) can make canting
arms. You made a good try at it.

> I wrote a letter to Laurel asking why the drawing is so important.  As
> far as I know, it isn’t printed anywhere.. Mistress Jaelle was very kind
> and replied to my inquiry. The best I can say, in agreement with
> Herveus, is that drawing is very important.

Jae is the brains, heraldically speaking; at most, I'm hands to
do the work. If drawing wasn't important, why would we have
bothered to include a big space on the arms submission form?

> The interesting thing is that once the device passes, I’ll have an
> artist draw it. The drawing may be one of many breeds of goats, all
> which have unique traits that won’t probably have appeared on the device
> submission. Do the Heralds care if it’s a Toggenburg, Saanen or Alpine
> (all are European). Do the Herald’s know?

Breed is irrelevant. Feta is essential. It will be assimilated...

Pedro de Alcazar, AoA, and breakfast/lunchless
Barony of Storvik, Atlantia
Pursuivant Extraordinary and Junior Minion
Or, six Castles Vert within a Bordure Gules Bezantty
--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com