Re: wrong spelling

Poster: Heather Swann <swannh@psi.com>

>> Don't worry about it, I'm still trying to convince some of my best, but
>> not brightest, friends that LLAMAS is pronounced YAMAS not LAMAS, because
>> it is a SPANISH word and in SPANISH the double L is pronounced as a Y.
>> So relax, just enjoy the thread....
>>
>> Nikolai
>
>However, the two dictionaries I consulted give "la ma" as the first or
>only pronunciation.  I guess we can now dissolve into a debate about
>whether words introduced into English from other languages should
>retain the pronunciation from the original source.  (to which I will
>withdraw into my corner and be quiet since I have not desire to go
>there.)
>
>In addition, I noticed that the genus for these animals is "Lama" so I
>guess the gentle who "mis-spelled" it was just giving the latin name
><grin>.
>

>-- Manus MacDhai
>   Kappellenberg/Windmasters' Hill

As per one of my old Spanish teachers who actually lived near them in their
native habitat, in English we say "lama", but spell it llama.  If, however,
you are speaking Spanish or are correctly pronouncing any Spanish words you
use, even when mixed with English, you must say "yama".

You say "lama", I say "yama", you say "pajama", I say "payama".....

Lets's call the whole thing off.....

Miri
We are all of us in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars....
-Oscar Wilde