Re: wrong spelling

Poster: bearslayer@juno.com (Christopher M Dawson)

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997 10:58 -0400 (EDT) "Ed Hopkins" <Ed.Hopkins@MCI.Com>
writes:

>Poster: "Ed Hopkins" <Ed.Hopkins@MCI.Com>
>
>> Don't worry about it, I'm still trying to convince some of my best,
>but
>> not brightest, friends that LLAMAS is pronounced YAMAS not LAMAS,
>because
>> it is a SPANISH word and in SPANISH the double L is pronounced as a
>Y.
>
>I don't know for sure, but I don't think the Incas said to the
>conquistadores, "Hey, what the heck should we call these things?"
>So I'm guessing it's really a Quechua word.
>
>-- Alfredo

and

>However, the two dictionaries I consulted give "la ma" as the first or
>only pronunciation.  I guess we can now dissolve into a debate about
>whether words introduced into English from other languages should
>retain the pronunciation from the original source.  (to which I will
>withdraw into my corner and be quiet since I have not desire to go
>there.)
>
>In addition, I noticed that the genus for these animals is "Lama" so I
>guess the gentle who "mis-spelled" it was just giving the latin name
><grin>.
>

>-- Manus MacDhai
>   Kappellenberg/Windmasters' Hill

Hey, got a few words for the both of you.......

la-la-la-la-la-lama..... You're not helping here<grin>.......  Random
House Webster's Concise Dictionary has the following:
lla-ma (la'me, ya'- ) n., pl. -mas South American ruminant related to the
camel.

this said nothing on on origin, but the directions on how to use the
Guide to the Dictionary said that a second pronunciation sylable is for
the word's usage in its native language......  LL pronounced with a Y
sound.......   If I find a more *CONCISE* dictionary will post it.....

Nikolai