re: German Noises?

Poster: Dick Eney <dickeney@access.digex.net>

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Efenwealt Gugler wrote:

> >>And then there's Eogan MacAlpin who maintains that words from foreign
> >>languages should be pronounced like English words. (Only sissies roll
> >>their "r"s and pronounces those throaty german "chhh" noises.) I just
> >>thought he'd like to see his name mentioned here too.

Aside from the example of Winston Churchill ("everybody has the right to
pronounce foreign words as they wish"), there's a consideration that a
linguist once pointed out to me: if I pronounced French as I would
English, French with a smattering of English could guess at what I thought
I was saying.  If I tried to pronounce it in what I thought the French
fashion, they could neither understand what I was saying nor guess what I
was trying to say.

|---------Master Vuong Manh, C.P., Storvik, Atlantia---------|
|Now, let's stop and think: how would Bugs Bunny handle this?|
|----------------(dickeney@access.digex.net)-----------------|