Re: [MR] What Does a White Belt Really Mean?

I think (IMHO), perhaps, that "cleansed white by the purity of his honor" would be adequate...

----
From: Ed Hopkins <Ed.Hopkins@MCI.Com>
To: The Merry Rose <atlantia@atlantia.sca.org>
Date: Monday, June 30, 1997 10:48 AM
Subject: [MR] What Does a White Belt Really Mean?

Poster: "Ed Hopkins" <Ed.Hopkins@MCI.Com>

Dragonfyr wrote:

> Found this on the West list and thought it quite thought provoking
[...]
  [in the following Alfredo has taken Braun's advice and
   replaced all occurances of "black belt" with "white belt".
   He also took the liberty of replacing "white belt of the beginner"
   with "red belt of the squire", although he suspects that's not
   as close a match]

> What Does a White Belt Really Mean?
>
> By Reverend Kensho Furuya

[...]
> At whatever level you achieve, if you think you "deserve" a whie
> belt, or if you think you are now "good enough" to be a white
> belt, you are way off the mark, and, indeed a very long way from
> reaching your white belt. Train hard, be humble, don't show off
> in front of your teacher or other students, don't complain about
> any task and do your best in everything in your life. This is
> what it means to be a white belt. To be overconfident, to show
> off your skill, to be competitive, to look down on others, to
> show a lack of respect, and to pick and chose what you do and
> don't do (believing that some jobs are beneath your dignity)
> characterize the student who will never achieve white belt. What
> they wear around their waist is simply a piece of merchandise
> brought for a few dollars in a martial arts supply store. The
> real white belt, worn by a real white belt holder, is the red
> belt of a squire, turned black by the colour of his blood and sweat.

Now, I think this last sentence needs work.  Should it maybe say
"bleached white by the purity of his honor"?  I don't know.

-- Alfredo