Acorn letter extra matter.

Poster: Michael Houghton <herveus@access.digex.net>

>From Dominus Herveus d'Ormonde, Golden Dolphin Herald to all to whom these
letters come, greetings and good health!

Good gentles, I got to do a really cool thing while I was in Thescorre for
the Known World Heralds and Scribes Symposium. Friday, our native guide, in
addition to knowing where the used book stores were, was able to arrange
for us to pore over the Book of Kells. Yes, that book. No, not the coffee
table edition.

Saint John Fisher College in Rochester has in their rare book collection a
facsimile copy of the Book of Kells which was published in 1990 in a
limited run (1480, if I recall correctly). Each page is trimmed to match
the shape (including holes) of the original page. The reproduction is
excellent. We got to leaf through the book. I also noticed two volumes on
the shelves labeled "CODEX LINDISFARNIS". We didn't dare go there; too much
peril for the time we had.

If you are up that way looking for something neat to do, you might want to
call the library and ask if you can see either of these books. The
librarian said to us when we left, "Y'all come back anytime". Well, she
said it in the local idiom, but that was the message. Mondo cool stuff. It
sort of blew us away.

yours,
Herveus