[MR] Re: Leather Hardening

Poster: "Ed Hopkins" <Ed.Hopkins@MCI.Com>

Michael Limner, esq, sketched the following problem:

> > > I am currently rebuilding my arm harness and am looking for
> > > suggestions on how best to harden a leather vambrace. I've
> > > already rubeed wax into it and backed it for about 2 hours at 170
> > > degrees,but it's still too flexible. Any other ideas? Should I
> > > soak it in wax, boil it in hot water, back it longer?

Nikolai responded:

> > What type of wax?  Bees wax?  Parafin?
> > Please, some one correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't parafin wax make
> > leather a little harder than just bees wax?

Eogan answered:

> Completely correct.  And parafin won't make your vambrace taste like
> honey.

I think that leather armor must have actually tasted like honey, since
ancient times.  It would explain why the Roman poet Quintus Horatius
Flaccus wrote:

   Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
   (It is sweet and fitting to die for one's country.)

Just a couple of days ago, Duke Sir Cariadoc posted on the Rialto
that he used to harden leather with beeswax, but now prefers using
hot water, in a preduce which he outlines in the posting, and
which he promises to teach at Pennsic.  If you'd like, I will
forward that posting to you.

-- Alfredo