Re: Leather Hardening

Poster: stephancm@juno.com (Peter H. Clarke)

I have tried several methods.  The method that works the best (for me) is
to melt parafin wax.  ONLY melt the wax, don't heat it because it will
cook the leather and make it very brittle (experienced it).  Heat the
leather first then dip into the melted wax.  If you do not heat the
leather, the wax will coat the surface and not penetrate.  Then let the
piece cool.

Yes, this is a slightly more hazardous way to wax your leather, and is
the best way, but if your careful and don't create a real hazard by
heating the wax past the melting point it should work well.  Do be sure
to do this in a well ventilated area and have an ABC fire extinguisher
handy.

Steffan

Azure, 2 stags combattant, argent, a chief ermine