Re: Heart of a Warrior

Poster: many waters cannot quench love <lisa@technomancer.com>

hi mordrea!

i'm curious as to where you got the words for peasant warrior - was it
straight from rosalind?  i was reading through the lyrics and got hung up
on the differing uses of "forsworn" - checked my online webster's, which
says

Forswear \For*swear"\, v. t. [imp. Forswore; p. p. Forsworn; p. pr. & vb.
n. Forswearing.] [OE. forsweren, forswerien, AS. forswerian;
pref. for- + swerian to swear. See For-, and Swear, v. i.] 1. To reject or
renounce upon oath; hence, to renounce earnestly,
determinedly, or with protestations.

which looks like what she intended here -

> For he had not the heart of a warrior.
> And no matter he's high born, on that day he had forsworn to be a knight,
> Denied his vow to King and Lord.

but not here -

> For I have the heart of a warrior,
> And no matter how I'm born, on this day I have forsworn
> To play the knight, that I may fight for my leige lord.

or here -

> May you have the heart of a warrior.
> For no matter how you're born,
> On one day you had forsworn to be a knight with honour
> 	bright for King and Lord.
> For one day you were reborn as a knight and you have worn
> 	the golden chain, the belt pure white and silver sword.

rosalind, are you out there?  am i just misreading, or are we seeing
folk-processes-of-oral-evolution-etc in action? *grin*

					in pedantic service,

						melys

lisa lorenzin                  every normal man must be tempted, at times,
lisa@technomancer.com          to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
http://www.1000plus.com/lisa/  and begin slitting throats.  - h.l. mencken