Re: Drunken Sailor

Poster: rmhowe <magnusm@ncsu.edu>

Brian Matthews wrote:

> Poster: Brian Matthews <wilthain@handy-man.com>
>
> Can someone send me the complete song of "What Do You Do(with a drunken
>  sailor)" I am working on a parody and need to get the cadence right
>                                    Thanx
>                                      Wilthain Westbram
What shall we do with the drunken sail-or,
What shall we do with the drunken sail-or,
What shall we do with the drunken sail-or,
Ear-ly in the morning?
Hoo-ray and up she ris-es,
Hoo-ray and up she ris-es,
Hoo-ray and up she ris-es,
Ear-ly in the morning.

Put him in the long-boat and make him bale her.  (thrice)

What shall we do with the drunken soldier.       (thrice)

Put him in the guardroom till he gets sober.     (thrice)

>From Roll and Go 1924, Songs of American Sailormen, by Joanna C.
Colcord.
Musicians have noted with interest the vagaries of this tune. As the
notes
stand in the text, the air is in D minor. By singing the same notes with
two
sharps in the signature the tune is changed to D major; and it was thus
sung by shantymen.
The tune title is THE DRUNKEN SAILOR.

                                M. Magnus Malleus

This book belonged to my grandfather whose father was a clippership
captain on the China Tea run. The ship was the N.B.Palmer.