Re: More Angevin Trivia

Poster: einar@cvn.net (einar)

At 01:07 AM 9/13/97 EST5EDT, you wrote:

>Poster: Christoph or Sherry Hintze <chhintze@bmd.clis.com>
>
>>Who said "Who will rid me of this troublesome priest?"
>>
>>1. Bryce de Byram
>>2. Niall Dolphin
>>3. Robin Griffaud
>>4. Henry II of England
>
>#4, of course.  And for bonus points, who WAS "this troublesome priest"....?
>
>Kat, who has had WAY too little sleep....

<chuckle>  St. Thomas a Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury at the time of his
martyrdom.  Used to be Henry's chancellor...  makes for an interesting
parallel:  Henry VIII and Sir Thomas More, who was also a chancellor, and
one-time friend of H. Tudor's.  At least More had a relatively clean
beheading, instead of being hacked to death like Becket was.

I'm sure John schemed similar things about Langton, but that archbishop was
safely on the Continent...

Elen Prydydd

who's getting into comparative history these days...