Motto assistance

Poster: Julien de Montfort <julien@spiaggia.org>

Greetings to all!  I have recently been blessed with a little
assistance on the EK mailing list with trying to figure out what the
Latin would have been for my sorta-unofficial motto:

	"A simple 'no' would have sufficed"

As you can see, I got some helpful suggestions, although two of the
three are needing some more polish.  If someone with more knowledge
of Latin than I (which is to say 'none') could assist, I would
appreciate it.

« > }Solum dice 'nullus'  sunt suficio, or
« > Simplus nullus (oh, heck , what IS 'would have' in Latin?  I just
« > blurped) suficius is closer to the original.
«
« I'll take a stab at "Verbum simplex 'non' suffic[ebat ???], i.e.
« "[The] word simple 'not [so]' would-have-sufficed".

Also, while I am also on the subject of motto translations, what
about French?  I ask because during some of my reading, I came across
the motto of Duke Charles of Burgundy and his wife, Margaret, and
noticed that both were apparently in French.

Is the use of Latin in personal mottos a (relatively) recent
invention, or something peculiar to the English-speaking countries?
One might assume that if the Burgundians had their mottos in period
in French, then perhaps the Italians had thiers in Italian, the
English had thiers in English, etc. etc.  If that's the case, I'd
much rather had my motto in French, as that would appear to be more
historically accurate...

Ideas, suggestions?

Julien

    Seigneur Julien de Montfort                   "Pean, un amphora et
    Ministre de Toille                       un caid palissade argent"
    Canton de Spiaggia Levantina                   julien@spiaggia.org
    de le Baronnie des Coteaux Brillant        http://www.spiaggia.org