Re: Delinquent quarterly reports

Poster: Beverly Robinson-Curry <corvus2@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>

At 04:32 PM 11/5/97 +0000, you wrote:

>   *Desirable* is not the same thing as *necessary*.  If a group's
>"Warm Body Persuivant" isn't providing the Heraldic services the
>group needs (whether or not he files a quarterly report saying
>"I didn't do anything again..."), work *with* the group to find
>someone who *is* interested in the job -- don't kill the whole
>group!

Landi,

I DO do this...  It is only after all available avenues have been exhausted
that I exercise the power of suspension.  You are judging our actions
without knowing what procedure we follow...  Well, let me enlighten you on mine:

Quarterly reports are due (and have been due since the dawn of time) 4 times
a year.  IMHO, this is not a huge drain on anyone's time to complete.  They
are also sometimes the only contact I have with a group herald, a way for me
to recognize if this person needs some assistance in a certain area,
frequently the only notice I get of a change of address and a way to track a
herald's progress in order to evaluate them for promotion, since the College
of Heralds has a career-ladder system with ranks based upon experience,
knowledge and service.

Every two months, a heraldic newsletter is mailed to all the warranted
heralds in the kingdom.  Notice of an impending report is published and
copies of the report form are included when applicable.

If 1 report is missed, I post notice to this list and publish same in the
Acorn. Frequently, I receive the missed report after I post and they realize
they missed the report (or their group nags them).

If 2 reports are missed, I post notice to this list, publish same in the
Acorn and mail a postcard around the first of the month to the group
seneschal notifying them of the delinquency.  They are then given until the
end of that month to clear up the problem.  If no response is received or
the new deadline not met, I then write the seneschal a letter, advising them
I have removed the warrant of their herald and am advising the kingdom
seneschale and the Crown of the delinquency and requesting suspension.

All anyone has to do to avoid this is to drop a piece of paper in the
mail...  Sometimes, when the seneschal is notified that two reports are
missing, they are surprised, because the herald has assured them he/she was
filing them, but frequently, when I reach critical mass with a group, you'll
find they haven't filed other reports either.

I follow procedures, file my reports to corporate on time and do what I
promised to do when I took this job...  All I ask is that the people on my
roster do the same.

Lady Rhiannon Ui Neill
Triton Principal Herald, Atlantia
House Corvus, Sacred Stone