Re: Reposting and Riposting

Poster: "H L. Falls" <hlf@holmes.acc.virginia.edu>

> Poster: viking@groupz.net (Doug Munitz,Sven Olafssen;Maria Munitz)
>
> Landi writes
> >   Or am I the only farm-boy here...?  :-)
> >
> >--Landi (Norse nickname, properly used as in "Landi-Jokul", meaning,
> >         roughly, "farm-boy". :-)
>
> Would Jokul be pronounced as Yokel?  Is that the root for the word we use
> for a country bumpkin?
> Ginevra
> (Hoping that this is not the start of another ridiculous side thread.)

   Well, "Yokel" is at least a fairly close approximation of the
pronunciation (about as close as "repost" and "riposte" anyway :-)
which is why I chose it...

   UVA's online OED says for "yokel" -- [Of uncertain origin. Perh.
a fig.  application of dial. _yokel_ (1) green woodpecker, (2)
yellow-hammer.] and lists the first recorded use as 1812.

   "Jokul", it would seem, is more closely related to "ickle"
(dialect form of "icicle", indeed the Old Norse (if I'm reading
the abbreviations correctly) for "icicle" is "jokull") and
citations date back to 700.

   Which actually does provide a starting point for another ridiculous
side thread, but I'll forbear...  :-)

--Landi