Re: Principality

Poster: Tom Rettie <tom@his.com>

At 08:27 AM 12/10/97 -0500, the brave Earl Dafydd wrote:

 > You say this is a split.  Why do you see the creation of a Principality
 > as a split? Is the creation of a Barony a split?  I am not trying to make
 > light of your concerns, but I would like to bring them into the open --
 > I suspect you are just speaking the concerns that many others have,
 > but do not voice.

Noble Earl and Good Gentles,

I think it would be most helpful in framing this discussion to have some
more specifics on the reality of a Principality.  For many of the newer
folks, or even older folks such as myself who have not lived in a
Principality, there are probably many questions about what being a
Principality means.  Putting the political/cultural/social/etc. issues
aside, what are the nuts-and-bolts of it?  A few questions that come to
mind are:

1.  What is the relationship between the Crowns (?) of a Principality and
the Crowns of the parent kingdom?  Is it analagous to a royal/baronial
relationship, or something different?

2.  Does a Principality have separate orders (e.g., Pearl, Golden Dolphin,
etc.)?  If so, how do these relate/interact with kingdom level orders (or
do they)?  What about the peerages?

3.  Does a Principality have separate independent officers, officers who
serve under kingdom officers, or something else?

Such information might be useful in an FAQ posted somewhere.

Your obedient servant,

Findlaech mac Alasdair