Re: [EK] Operation Renaissance Persona

Poster: "Karen Lyons-McGann" <dvkld.dev@mhs.unc.edu>

 Findlaech says:

>It's like there's a Star Trek Universal Translator that converts
everyone's
>speech into Elizabethean Movie Dialog.

Ha!

>It's nice for atmosphere, but it's
>not how most non-English, non-later-period folks would speak.  Is it
really
>less jarring for an 11th century Norseman to speak like a 16th century
>Englishman than like a 20th century American?

I vote that it is but then  I've heard hardly anyone with a Universal
Translator so far.  It is jarring to hear modern slang coming out of the
mouths of well-garbed bodies. Since I've never heard or seen  a real 11th
century Norseman, then any speech or action that seems "old" is enough to
create an feeling  of something going on here instead of the feeling that
I am sitting backstage at one of those living history plays.

> just someone who bows rather than shakes  hands,
> understands SCA nomenclature, and "goes along" with all the other folks
who
> are also playing their version of the game.  I don't act like I don't
> understand what an electric light is.

That, and avoiding going on about computers and current news events would
be enough.  The gentle trying to catch up with friends mundane lives
after months or years also seems reasonable enough. But Melisande de
Belvoir  points out the following so well that I'm just going to use it
here:

     minimal creativity can make a movie into an
     "entertainment," or work on your car into repairs to your wagon (but

     *not* to your dragon), or a difference of opinion with your boss
into
     one with your overlord.  It doesn't take too much work to ask after
     someone's family in a way that doesn't pierce the delicate bubble of

     the "medieval" environment, or to take an urgent conversation about
     something obtrusively 20th C. out of the hearing of other people.

The hardest part is figuring out how to do this if you don't hear other
people doing so.   What words and speech patterns do I need to have
installed in my Universal Translator?  I was going to say that this
practice may be easier for those who like the idea of playing a part.
But really, it seems more like the ability to speak a foreign language.
It may not be correct for any garb choice, but for those not heavily into
developing and acting out a persona, it improves the look of garb to hear
something other than modern American.

Anne