Re: Belching (was Re: Persona Crap)

Poster: Noramunro <Noramunro@aol.com>

Karen wrote on the subject of naff sounds, quoting:

<< - Henry Purcell (1659-1695)
   "Pox On You"
   From THE ART OF THE BAWDY SONG, Dorian DOR-90155 >>

There is ample evidence for the comic uses of belching and farting far earlier
than Henry Purcell.  Anyone familiar with the Canterbury Tales (the Miller's
Tale especially springs to mind) will remember this.  However, my squeamish
20th-century sensibilities suggest to me that we need not necessarily engage
in these things just in pursuit of authenticity (I'd rather see more people
wearing better garb or period shoes first, for example).  :-)

Alianora
experiencing authentically OOP jetlag