Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 07:47:21 -0800
From: "Terry L. Taylor" <ttaylor@ctc.ctc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list H-ALBION <H-ALBION@h-net.msu.edu>
Subject: Query: Medieval Standards

Date:        Mon, 05 Jan 1998 13:13:20 +0100
From:         Elfie Rembold <elfrem@transmedia.de>

During my studies of modern Welsh history I came across a rather mediaeval
problem concerning flags and standards of noble families. I know that the
Welsh Red Dragon and probably also the White or Silver Greyhound are Tudor
emblems and belonged to Henry VII. However I could not trace down the
standard of the White Wolfhound. All I know is that it was a badge of Sir
Roger Fiennes and appeared carved on the tower of Hurstmonceux Castle built
by him in the early 15th cent.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was another Tudor standard but it could
also be one of the Plantagenet line. Perhaps someone knows of events where
it was used in the battlefield and who carried it.

Many thanks

Elfie Rembold

Elfie Rembold
elfrem@transmedia.de