helm help

Poster: CG Scoop <CGScoop@aol.com>

Good armor-wearing gentles

I just got a beautiful mild steel helm from Red Falcon and though the
burnished metal doth gleam brightly in the sun, I know full well that it is
likely to rust in th future. I have resolved to paint the thing but I thought
I would get some advice first. What's the best way to clean the protective
coat of oil off before painting (should I even clean it off?)
What's the best kind of paint that will hold up to me getting my bell rung (I
am quite good at that particular feat)
Any ideas on chinstraps and padding that have worked well/badly for you?

Any advice would be appreciated.
William of Falestone