Heraldry question: CD's for color

Poster: Eric Stoneking <estoneki@swales.com>

Greetings to the patrons of the Merry Rose,

My latest device submission was recently bounced by Laurel for conflict.
I'm considering revising it by simply changing the tinctures.  Would anyone
have an opinion as to whether this will fly?

Speaking concretely, "Azure, a comet bendwise between six estoiles
argent" conflicts with "Azure, estoilly, a sun argent".  (Six equals Many, and
Comet is not sufficiently different from Sun.)  Would changing it to "Vert, a
comet bendwise between six estoiles Or" provide sufficient difference?

Purely for entertainment value, how far can this be carried?  Does
"Argent, a thing sable" have two differences from "Sable, a thing
argent", one for the field and one for the charge?  Would a color change
from azure to purpure constitute a sufficient difference?  Are some colors
'more different' than others?  (I guess a better way of asking that is: Are
some colors similar enough that their difference may be disputed?)

Thanks for any advice,
-Henri LaGrave