Re: Name authenitcation

Poster: Robert J Welenc <rjwelenc@erols.com>

>> > Greetings all!
>> > 	I am trying to authenticate the name Adrianna.  So far, I have found
>> > a number of popes named Adrienne and was hoping I could claim
>> > Adrianna as a feminine form of Adrienne.  Any other suggestions for
>> > sources of Authentication.  I would hope to pass the name Adrianna de
>> > Bretagne. (Adrianna of Brittany for those of you who do not speak
>> > French).  I know the de Bretagne is passable because many people used
>> > "de +  wherever they were from."  Any help would be greatly
>> > appreciated.
>
>> I'm not certain that "Adrianna" will fly as a feminine form of "Adrienne".
>> (our tendancy to slap an 'a' on the end to make it a feminine name doesn't
>> translate universally)

>To further pick nits, the popes were named Adrian (Hadrian, Latinised
>H/Adrianus), not Adrienne, which is a feminine form of the French version
>of the name (Adrien).  Adrianna/Adrienne might well be passable as a
>feminine first name, but a review of books like the Oxford Dictionary of
>First Names should help settle the question.

Withycombe  lists the male 'Adrian' dated as early as 1189 in the Latin
form 'Adrianus', which could lead to the feminine form 'Adriana'.  This,
along with  with the French form 'Adrienne', is not specifically dated, but
is mentioned as being used by Shakespeare in _Comedy of Errors_.

Alanna Volchevo Lesa
Partan Pursuivant, Barony of Lochmere
Laurel Minion