Re: Name authenitcation

Poster: "Stephanie M. Thorson" <smt2@st-andrews.ac.uk>

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Marybeth Lavrakas wrote:

> I'm not certain that "Adrianna" will fly as a feminine form of "Adrienne".
> (our tendancy to slap an 'a' on the end to make it a feminine name doesn't
> translate universally)
> One way to check would be to look at the calendar of St.'s names and if
> you get an "Adrianna" you're probably home free.  I think the most
> recent issue of the Complete Anachronist was a listing of St.'s names.
>
> Kathryn Rous
>
> On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Problem wrote:
>

> > Poster: "Problem" <AEWING@jefferson.student.wlu.edu>
> >
> > Greetings all!
> > 	I am trying to authenticate the name Adrianna.  So far, I have found
> > a number of popes named Adrienne and was hoping I could claim
> > Adrianna as a feminine form of Adrienne.  Any other suggestions for
> > sources of Authentication.  I would hope to pass the name Adrianna de
> > Bretagne. (Adrianna of Brittany for those of you who do not speak
> > French).  I know the de Bretagne is passable because many people used
> > "de +  wherever they were from."  Any help would be greatly
> > appreciated.

To further pick nits, the popes were named Adrian (Hadrian, Latinised
H/Adrianus), not Adrienne, which is a feminine form of the French version
of the name (Adrien).  Adrianna/Adrienne might well be passable as a
feminine first name, but a review of books like the Oxford Dictionary of
First Names should help settle the question.

Alianora