Re: Name authenitcation

Poster: "Angela K. Pincha-Neel" <angela@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com>

Robert J Welenc wrote:

> Poster: Robert J Welenc <rjwelenc@erols.com>
>
> At 12:50 PM 2/3/98 -0500, Julien de Montfort wrote:
> >> There are 8 Adrianna's registered in the SCA Armorial
> ><clip>>
> >> If nothing else referencing these should be good enough, provided the
> >> way the name is put together in such a fashion that it would have been
> >> done in period, and yours looks like it is...
> >
> >Although just a word of caution: just because something has been
> >registered before does *not* necessarily mean that it is currently
> >acceptable -- SCA heraldry has come a along way over the years, and
> >what may been acceptable in the past my not be anymore.  In addition,
> >referring to names already registered by other SCAdians does not
> >constitute 'documentation' as far as justifying a potential name
> >submission.
> >
> The more recent a name registration, the more likely it is to have been
> properly researched and registered.
>
> But as Julien said, you can't count on it.  There are a number of reasons
> that a person might be able to register a non-period name.  'Heather', for
> instance,  can be registered under the 'mundane name allowance' even though
> it is OOP, but it must be the submitter's legal name.
>
> Alanna

And in case you haven't noticed, when someone asks a question on
heraldry and having something registered, and someone else answers,
there is always a caution that "the other herald" might be wrong!

As I suggested earlier, if you cannot find the documentation yourself on
the name Adrianna, and that is really the name you have your heart set
upon, do the paperwork, send in the name you desire, and let the
Triton's staff argue about its correctness and the result will most
likely be that the name will be registered. You can do the paperwork a
variety of ways that is convinient for you...

Good luck!

-Mordrea-