Re: Period Vegetarian

Poster: mn13189@WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> Needless to say, there are a lot more dishes that include
> dairy/eggs than don't; most dietary restrictions of the middle ages
> (e.g. "meatless" Fridays for Catholics) did not involve anything
> as restricted as us modern vegetarians.

If I remember right one f the English bestiaries (from 12th cent., I
believe) made mention f a type of bird that was considered a fish, not
meat, because it bred at sea, or such was the belief.  Anyway, it was
justified somehow that this bird was not meat, and therefore could be
eaten on Fridays.  If anyone is interested it probably would not be too
hard for me to find that information again.
Aye,
Eogan