Re: vegetarians and vietnam

Poster: Erik Dutton <edutton@worldnet.att.net>

Suzanne Metzler wrote:

> both an uncomfortable generalization and in some cases wildly inaccurate

Shalom aleichem!
You make some very important points here, that I think we all would do
well to keep in mind.

> the most conservative estimate is that millions of women were killed as
> witches throughout the middle ages

Some recent scholarship has suggested a number more in the range of
400,000 (if I can find that reference again I will post it if anyone is
interested - I think it was in PanGaia magazine...)

> yet I don't know of anyone, even the
> most militant feminist, who would reduce the entire Medieval period
> to nothing more than rampant and organized misogyny.

Well... almost no-one. I know at least one song current in the Neo-Pagan
community ("The Burning Times", recorded by Todd Alan) that suggests the
entire Inquisition was simply a war against women, using "witchcraft"
charges to shore up the authority of the patriarchy and the Church.

--
In service,
Rhodri ap Hywel