Re:Knights and Jews in the Middle Ages

Poster: "Stephanie M. Thorson" <smt2@st-andrews.ac.uk>

On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Brett W. McCoy wrote:

> > > period left a great deal to be desired.  It was after all a Papal Legate
> > > who uttered the importal word "kill them all, God will know his own" from
> > > the hills overlooking Jerrusalem.
> >
> > Erm, perhaps I am mistaken, but I think the city in question was instead
> > Antioch.
>
> I thought that was uttered during the Albigensian Crusade, when Christians
> were killing (heretical) Christians in the Langudeoc.

As I said, I may have been mistaken.  Others have suggested the
Albigensian Crusade as well.  At any rate, it wasn't Jerusalem.

And for that matter, for all any of us know, it could well be a medieval
"urban legend"  that eventually was written down and accepted as fact.
It's very hard to say.  Does anyone have a *primary* source reference for
this one?

Alianora