Re:Knights and Jews in the Middle Ages

Poster: einar@cvn.net (einar)

At 04:33 PM 2/15/98 +0000, Stephanie M. Thorson wrote:

> [...]
Legate

>> > Erm, perhaps I am mistaken, but I think the city in question was instead
>> > Antioch.
>>
>> I thought that was uttered during the Albigensian Crusade, when Christians
>> were killing (heretical) Christians in the Langudeoc.
>
>As I said, I may have been mistaken.  Others have suggested the
>Albigensian Crusade as well.  At any rate, it wasn't Jerusalem.
>
>And for that matter, for all any of us know, it could well be a medieval
>"urban legend"  that eventually was written down and accepted as fact.
>It's very hard to say.  Does anyone have a *primary* source reference for
>this one?
>
>Alianora

Joseph Strayer, in his monograph _The Albigensian Crusade_, voiced his
opinion that this story was apocryphal -- it may not necessarily be true,
but it neatly sums up the RC Church hierarchy's attitude towards the
Cathars.  Strayer (for those who don't know) was the chairman of the
history dept. at Princeton during the 50's and 60's.  So, I take his
comment to mean that he did *not* know of any source, be it a letter, an
annal, or a chronicle that specifically stated that such-and-such bishop
actually said this.

Elen Prydydd