Manners

Poster: Gina <rhiannon-of-berra@erols.com>

>      I have taught many classes on Courtesy at many sessions of the
>      Univerity of Atlantia.  Like Hillel, I can sum up all I think you need
>      to know in a few short sentences:
>
>      Act in a way that would make your grandmother proud of you.  Say
>      please, thank you, and excuse me.  Be quiet and listen when someone
>      else is speaking.  Be helpful when you can.  And do all this
>      *regardless* of your rank, or of that of the people around you.  That
>      is all of courtesy.  Now go and study.

Courtesy seems to be a rare beast to fine, even in the SCA.  In my short
time in the SCA, I have been met with rudeness and unthoughtfulness.
But on the other hand, I have also been met with warmth, kindness and
cheer.  I am thankful that the good has outweighed the bad; but from
time to time, we all need "friendly reminders" of the little things.
Courtesy is like everything else, if you don't use it; you lose it.  For
us newer folks, we have to learn some things by example.  So for those
of you who've been in the SCA for a while, be kind, tell us when we
screw up and remember that the "newbies" are always watching and
learning from you :)