Re: On Courtesy Classes

Poster: "Stephanie M. Thorson" <smt2@st-andrews.ac.uk>

Scripsit Odinson:

> I beleave Raven Helmsplitter of The Great Dark Horde mention many of his
> household are always armed. It might be mentioned that almost no viking would
> ever voluntarily give up his weapon of choice to any man. Not even to a his
> king. No warrior wanted to die unarmed, to do so would result in possibly not
> getting to Vallhalla.

There is a lovely Tuvan tradition regarding arms and friendly
circumstances that I intend to incorporate into my Mongol kit as soon as I
get around to finger-weaving the necessary cord.  :-)  (Tuva, for the
unwary, is a Central Asian region formerly part of the USSR; Tuvan culture
is not dissimilar from Mongol and Khazakh culture).  Tuvans wear knives
tucked into their sashes, and use a cord to attach the knife to the sash.
In situations where they want to show their trust and friendship, the
knife is pulled out of the sash and allowed to dangle from the cord.
While they have not disarmed themselves, the knife is now out of easy
reach, and unavailable for either sneak attacks or sudden defence.

Alianora