Re: how kings come to be

Poster: "Stephanie M. Thorson" <smt2@st-andrews.ac.uk>

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Odinson13 wrote:

> <<  The chap who swings the
>  best stick wins.  Sometimes we get a good king (hurrah!); >>
>
>  True, but not always. The son of Edward I did not swing a sword at all or the
> one he did swing is sometimes rumored to be of a different type.

Yes, and Edward II was offed by an assortment of annoyed magnates
including his wife and son (later Edw. III), all of whom had more military
gifts than the unlamented Edw.II.  For the record, that business in
_Braveheart_ about William Wallace siring a child on the Princess Isabella
was total malarkey.  Edw.III wasn't born until 6 years after Wallace was
executed, and she was about 6-7 at the time of the execution anyway.

> Don't know, don't care, didn't ask and not looking. It's just in one of my
> books on the subject. About Robert Bruce I think.

Which is exactly the *last* thing you should say to a history teacher.  I
like to think better about SCA folk in that regard.  I get quite enough of
that attitude from my first-years.

Alianora