The Oak

Poster: Heather Bryden <bryden@hers.com>

Greetings unto the denizens of the Merry Rose from your humble Elisabeth
MacAlester of Kintyre, by grace of Their Majesties of Atlantia, Editor of
The Oak.

As I announced earlier this week, I have, much to my astonishment, been
selected as the next Editor of The Compleat Anachronist.  The
responsibilities of that office are significant, and I do not believe I can
fulfill them successfully and still meet my obligations as Editor of The
Oak.  Therefore, I am seeking a successor to this office.

The editorship of The Oak is easily the best job in Atlantia.  In my
tenure, I have read fascinating articles on obscure topics long before they
reached the public.  I have showcased works by spectacular artists and
craftsmen.  And, best of all, I have had an opportunity to share all these
wonderful things with the entire population of the Kingdom.

Work for The Oak can be divided into five parts:

1.  Fundraising.  It costs almost $1,000 to print and mail 1,500 copies of
one 48-page issue.  There are no provisions for funding from the SCA, Inc.
or from the Kingdom.  At present, The Oak has funds sufficient to cover the
costs of two issues, in addition to the one I'm handing off to Rabah for
printing and mailing this weekend.

2.  Solicitation of articles and artwork.  This is a whole lot of fun.
Most people are flattered and pleased when you ask them to share their work
with a wider audience.

3.  Editorial and Layout.  This includes copyediting, occasional rewriting,
and putting the pieces together to create a complete publication.
Editorial skills are critical, as most of the people in the Kingdom are not
professional writers.

4.  Bureaucracy.  You must track the incoming and outgoing funds, keep
records of all donations (they count as tax deductions to the donors), and
maintain release letters.

5.  Thank you's.  Probably the most important part of the job.  The only
real thing the Editor of The Oak has to give contributors-of money, art, or
articles-is gratitude.

The Editorial and Layout work takes the most time.  I spend roughly 40-60
hours on an issue, but I work at my own pace and spread it out over a 2-3
month period.  The bureaucracy is an hour or two a month.  I'm not sure
about the time commitment for the rest-I tend to do it as I go along.

The Oak is inexpensive, as far as Kingdom Offices go.  I've spent about
$125 in phone calls, postage, and office supplies, plus the cost of events.
Office supplies and postage are reimbursable up to $75.00 per reign, and
all bona fide expenses are tax deductible.

To apply for the position, send one copy of a letter, along with a resume
and samples demonstrating your design ideas and editorial skills for The
Oak to me at the address on page 3 of this issue.  Send a second copy of
your submission to the Kingdom Chronicler, Sayyid Rabah az-Zafar, at 6054
Clear Springs Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23464.  Applications are due May 15,
1998.  Your sample should include a front and back cover, an inside front
cover, and at least one article.  I would also like a sample of your
writing and/or editorial work.

Please let me also take this opportunity to thank the countless people who
have made working on The Oak such a delight. They include Sayyid Rabah
az-Zafar and Lady Kara in Danska for reproducing, collating, and mailing
The Oak; Earl Dafydd ap Gwystl, fundraiser extraordinaire; Mistress Keilyn
Fitzwarin and THL Siobhan O'Riordan for their assistance with bureaucracy,
cash management, and record keeping; Mistress Deirdre O'Siodhachain and
Mistress Celynen of Stow-on-the-Wold for moral support; and everyone who
donated money or submitted art or articles during my tenure.  Special
thanks are reserved for my dear Lord Findlaech mac Alasdair for
proofreading, technical support, and endless patience.