Re: "Viking beds"

Poster: Wayne Precht <wayne@polaris.umuc.edu>

'rmhowe said:'

> > For the life of me I can't find a single picture on the WWW of a
> > slat bed... Magnus? Anyone?
> >
> >  Thanks in advance,
> >  Hrothgar
>
> (Since I often get asked this I am going to cross post.)
>
> I have pictures of two Viking slat beds, both are from
> the Viking ship excavations. One is the large one with the very wide
> side, post, and head boards carved with the beasts, the other is a
> smaller (and more practical) bed with shaped posts at the corners
> and looks more like a single bed. There are some on a very expensive
> "World of the Vikings" CD ROM ($110) from England too. Some of the
> Viking books show them quite often. But there are only a couple of
> survivals. One good book to look in is From Viking to Crusader.

[SNIP]

There is an excellent resource for all things viking (from an SCA
prespective) on the WWW at:
http://users.aol.com/gerekr/norse.html

Specifically, the bed segement is at:
http://users.aol.com/gerekr/bed.html

A more general starting point can be found at:
http://www.control.chalmers.se/vikings/indexframe.html

Somewhere in there are more bed pictures, but I don't remember where.

Duke Galmr.

--
| L. Wayne Precht                           | wayne@apollo.umuc.edu         |
| Asst. Director for Development            | 301-985-7336 (voice)          |