Re: Fun dog regalia

Poster: "Stephanie M. Thorson" <smt2@st-andrews.ac.uk>

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Genie Powell wrote:

> I'm not familiar with these period dog collars.  Aren't they just those
> butch looking studded ones pictured in some illuminations?  I'm sorta
> curious about animal ornamentation, as well.  Most pictures I've seen have
> only had these man's best friends in leather collars and leashes.
>
> Isabel

Period dog collars could be considerably more elaborate than "butch
looking studded collars."  There are collars recorded in inventories which
are described as being silk and velvet, with gold and pearl embroidery and
gilt buckles/clasps.  And yes, folks, those were real, actual collars worn
by actual dogs owned by actual nobles, not just some fantasy dreamed up by
an illuminator ...  The embroidery usually included the owners' arms or
badges, mottoes and fiddly bits as filler.  The studded collars were
usually worn by dogs who were used for bear-baiting or boar-hunting.  I
published some prelimary research on period collars and leads a few years
ago in _TI_; back issues should still be available.  If I recall correctly
it was issue #111 (Summer 1994).

I have seen some period examples of body armour (usually quilted) for dogs
but none of tabards or coats designed for "dress" purposes.  AFAIK,
mediaeval people didn't try to bard their dogs in the same way they
dressed their horses for tournaments.

Alianora